Dacotah Switchgrass Seed (Panicum virgatum)
- 0.00 LBS
- Calculated at Checkout
Warm season, perennial grass that is native to North America. This seed is sold as pure live seed (PLS). Pure live seed is the percentage of pure and viable seed in a given lot.
- Scientific name: Panicum virgatum
- Summer perennial grass that is native to North America.
- Grows best in areas that receive 30 inches of rainfall a year in in irragated areas with average wet soils.
- Grows to 3-6 feet in height.
- Can be distinguished from other native grasses by the dense patch of hairs at the point where the leaf blade attaches to the sheath.
- Foliage turns a beautiful yellow in the fall.
- Could be planted on a highly erodile sites and field borders.
- Longevity: Perennial.
- Approximately 258,800 seeds/lb
- Planting Range: May 1-June 1 or fall seeding
Dacotah switchgrass is earlier maturing and adapted farther north than other known switchgrass cultivars. The projected climatic adaptation of Dacotah (shown by the shaded area on the adaptation map below) is North Dakota and the northern half of Minnesota. Precipitation ranges from 15 to 30 inches for the area. Performance outside this area has not been adequately tested. Dacotah is best suited to moderately wet, light or medium-textured soils. It will tolerate light saline or alkaline soils and is more drought tolerant than other currently available switchgrass cultivars recommended for the Northern Great Plains.
Seed Rate: Drilled:
4-6 lbs (PLS) per acre
Seed Rate: Broadcast:
6-8 lbs (PLS) per acre 1/2-1 lbs per 1,000 sq ft.